Re: opportunistic tuple freezing

From: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: opportunistic tuple freezing
Date: 2009-09-16 03:56:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 2:07 AM, Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com> wrote:

> > As always with patches that are meant to improve performance,
> > some experimental evidence would be a good thing.
>
> I haven't had time to performance test this patch yet, and it looks like
> it will take a significant amount of effort to do so. I'm focusing on my
> other work, so I don't know if this one is going to be in shape for the
> September commitfest.
>
> If someone is interested in doing some performance testing for this
> patch, let me know. I still think it has potential.

Under what kind of circumstances/workload to you think this patch is most
likely to show its full potential? I can try to test it out, but would like
some guidance. I am guessing it is when the anti-wrap around vacuums come
due, but that is such a rare event, it could both be hard to test for and
also be of limited real-world applicability.

Cheers,

Jeff (Janes)