Re: XML / XSL rendering in PostgreSQL server?

From: "Peter Sampson" <peter(at)kobry(dot)com>
To: "Tino Wildenhain" <tino(at)wildenhain(dot)de>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: XML / XSL rendering in PostgreSQL server?
Date: 2008-08-15 12:09:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tino, thanks for your reply

I would like to use one of the XML rendering functions like
> table_to_xml_and_xmlschema OR table_to_xml and render the output via XSL,
> preferably in one query.

"What do you think would be the benefit of doing that?"

My main reason would be to embed all of the application logic in the
postgres server. This way, we can build out the app more efficiently by not
relying on middleware. It seems like there would be fewer cycles committed
to the whole application if it was all done in the DB, but I could be wrong.

Yes, I am using pl/pgSQL for all of the internals. I could formulate and
output the data this way, but if Postgres has methods for using XSL to do
this, why not use it instead of re-inventing it (and we can keep the
public-view logic separate from the business logic in the server)?

Thanks.

Peter