Re: convert libpq uri-regress tests to tap test

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: convert libpq uri-regress tests to tap test
Date: 2022-02-24 12:31:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 24.02.22 02:52, Tom Lane wrote:
> Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> writes:
>
>>> That's failing to account for the fact that a libpq test can't
>>> really be a pure-perl TAP test; you need some C code to drive the
>>> library.
>
>> Such things could be put under src/interfaces/libpq/test, or some other
>> subdirectory. We already have src/interfaces/ecpg/test.
>
> OK, but then the TAP scripts are under src/interfaces/libpq/test/t,
> which isn't what you said. I have no great objection to moving
> src/test/modules/libpq_pipeline/ to src/interfaces/libpq/test/,
> though, as long as the buildfarm will cope.

I think the TAP scripts should be in src/interfaces/libpq/t/, as usual.
The supporting code snippets could live in some other directory under
src/interfaces/libpq/, which might be called "test" or something else,
not that important.

I think we should pick a layout that is proper and future-proof and then
adjust the buildfarm client as necessary. The issue of writing
libpq-specific tests has come up a few times recently; I think it would
be worth finding a proper solution to this that would facilitate that
work in the future.