Re: Bogus sizing parameters in some AllocSetContextCreate calls

From: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Bogus sizing parameters in some AllocSetContextCreate calls
Date: 2016-08-28 15:16:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 08/28/2016 04:59 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> writes:
>> I'm however pretty sure this will have absolutely no impact on profiles.
>
> Yeah, I do not believe that either. Also, I think that the intent of the
> existing code is to defend against bad parameters even in non-assert
> builds. Which might argue for turning these into test-and-elog rather
> than asserts.

I agree. There's a fair number of contrib modules, and when they compile
just fine people are unlikely to test them with assert-enabled builds.
So they would not notice any issues, but it'd get broken as we've
removed the code that fixes the values for them.

--
Tomas Vondra http://www.2ndQuadrant.com