Alias for field name

From: reina(at)nsi(dot)edu (Tony Reina)
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Alias for field name
Date: 2002-03-01 00:22:56
Lists: pgsql-admin

I know this is probably a no-no, but I was just curious.

I have two databases that are almost identical. Some of the minor
differences include different field names. For instance, in one db a
field called 'cell_name' is the same (more or less) as a field called
'file_name' in another db (actually cell_name is a subset of
file_name).

Would it be possible for PostgreSQL to know that if I ask for
'file_name' in the first db that I am really talking about
'cell_name'? In other words, is there an alias declaration?

e.g. CREATE TABLE testtable (
cell_name int4 AKA file_name
);

Note that I don't think this would be true referential integrity
because 'file_name' is nowhere in the first database (it's between
them).

Thanks.
-Tony