Re: Add exclusive backup deprecation notes to documentation

From: David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>
To: Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Martín Marqués <martin(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Subject: Re: Add exclusive backup deprecation notes to documentation
Date: 2019-03-01 09:21:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2/28/19 6:08 PM, Laurenz Albe wrote:
> David Steele wrote:
>> This patch attempts to document the limitations of the exclusive mode.
>
> Thanks!
>
>> + <para>
>> + The primary issue with the exclusive method is that the
>> + <filename>backup_label</filename> file is written into the data directory
>> + when <function>pg_start_backup</function> is called and remains until
>> + <function>pg_stop_backup</function> is called. If
>> + <productname>PostgreSQL</productname> or the host terminates abnormally
>
> There should be a comma at the end of this line.

Fixed.

>> + then <filename>backup_label</filename> will be left in the data directory
>> + and <productname>PostgreSQL</productname> will not start. A log message
>
> You should say "*may* not start", because it will if the WAL segment is still there.

You are correct. It's still pretty likely though so I went with "probably".

I added some extra language to the warning that gets emitted in the log.
Users are more like to see that than the documentation.

I also addressed a comment from another thread by adding pg_basebackup
as .e.g. rather than or.

Thanks,
--
-David
david(at)pgmasters(dot)net

Attachment Content-Type Size
exclusive-backup-deprecation-doc-v02.patch text/plain 4.4 KB