Re: Renaming of pg_xlog and pg_clog

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Renaming of pg_xlog and pg_clog
Date: 2016-08-26 15:13:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 08/25/2016 07:39 PM, Michael Paquier wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am relaunching $subject as 10 development will begin soon. As far as
> I know, there is agreement that we can do something here. Among the
> different proposals I have found:
> - pg_clog renamed to pg_commit_status, pg_xact or pg_commit
> - pg_xlog renamed to pg_xjournal, pg_wal or pg_journal

I think the use of the pg_ prefix is redundant. Just a directory called:
wal will do (for example).

In reference to pg_xlog specifically, it should be wal. It is the Write
Ahead Log, not the Journal (although I recognize they can be
synonymous). All the documentation talks about Write Ahead Log.

Sincerely,

JD

--
Command Prompt, Inc. http://the.postgres.company/