Re: Fast COPY FROM based on batch insert

From: Andrey Lepikhov <a(dot)lepikhov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
To: "tsunakawa(dot)takay(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <tsunakawa(dot)takay(at)fujitsu(dot)com>
Cc: Etsuro Fujita <etsuro(dot)fujita(at)gmail(dot)com>, Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>, Zhihong Yu <zyu(at)yugabyte(dot)com>, Amit Langote <amitlangote09(at)gmail(dot)com>, "tanghy(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <tanghy(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com>, Ashutosh Bapat <ashutosh(dot)bapat(dot)oss(at)gmail(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, "houzj(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <houzj(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Fast COPY FROM based on batch insert
Date: 2021-06-07 06:36:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 4/6/21 13:45, tsunakawa(dot)takay(at)fujitsu(dot)com wrote:
> From: Andrey Lepikhov <a(dot)lepikhov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
>> We still have slow 'COPY FROM' operation for foreign tables in current master.
>> Now we have a foreign batch insert operation And I tried to rewrite the patch [1]
>> with this machinery.
>
> I haven't looked at the patch, but nice performance.
>
> However, I see the following problems. What do you think about them?
I agree with your fears.
Think about this patch as an intermediate step on the way to fast COPY
FROM. This patch contains all logic of the previous patch, except of
transport machinery (bulk insertion api).
It may be simpler to understand advantages of proposed 'COPY' FDW API
having committed 'COPY FROM ...' feature based on the bulk insert FDW API.

--
regards,
Andrey Lepikhov