Re: 9.0 ?

From: "Emanuel Calvo Franco" <postgres(dot)arg(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 9.0 ?
Date: 2009-01-09 20:31:10
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

2009/1/9 damien clochard <damien(at)dalibo(dot)info>:
> Josh Berkus a écrit :
>> All,
>>
>>> Perhaps we should also adopt an ubuntu-like strategy of naming the
>>> releases. That'll give people the impression of major version changes
>>> instead of the number. For example, perhaps the next version could be
>>> code named "Cornucopious Core" or something ;-) Kind of like "Hardy
>>> Heron", or "Dapper Dan" . I think today people tend to refer to the
>>
>> Gods forfend!
>>
>> Not that you were serious, but I actually rank the Ubuntu release naming
>> scheme as "experimental failure" (kind of like "Postgres95"), and wish
>> Ubuntu would go back to naming the releases after the date, or just use
>> numbers like everyone else. I'm forever trying to remember whether the
>> current release is "Dapper Dalmation" or "Stellar Sparrow" or "Woody
>> Woodpecker" or "Moose & Squirrel". And don't get me started on Apple
>> and their releases of OSX "Ocelot" and "Caracal". It's a release naming
>> scheme which caters exclusively to insiders.

When we talk about 'labels' in the most cases we talk about SO's.
If you see, comercial databases don't use 'names' AFAIK.
Make the software more seriusly.

In relation of more big number of versions, i think it is not really a
good point.
I think less digits shows you that the software is more 'stable' IMHO.

I think too that the 9 version must support inside tools to full replication.

> Every naming scheme is only understandable by insiders. After apart from
> debian fanboys, who can tell where "etch" and "sarge" names come from ?
> It's strictly the same thing with version number, except us, who can say
> what were the differences between the 8.0 and the 8.1 :-)
>
> The only advantage of release naming is that it's more fun than numbers.
>
> how about "Elegant Elephant" ? "Persistent Pachyderm" ? "Marvelous
> Mastodont" ? :o)

"Eternal Mamooth" ... :P

Regards