Re: clarify "rewritten" in pg_checksums docs

From: Michael Banck <michael(dot)banck(at)credativ(dot)de>
To: Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>
Cc: PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: clarify "rewritten" in pg_checksums docs
Date: 2020-09-01 13:34:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

Am Dienstag, den 01.09.2020, 15:29 +0200 schrieb Daniel Gustafsson:
> > On 1 Sep 2020, at 15:13, Michael Banck <michael(dot)banck(at)credativ(dot)de> wrote:
> > the pg_checksums docs mention that "When enabling checksums, every file
> > in the cluster is rewritten".
> >
> > From IRC discussions, "rewritten" seems ambiguous, it could mean that a
> > second copy of the file is written and then switched over, implying
> > increased storage demand during the operation.
>
> Makes sense, I can see that confusion.
>
> > So maybe "rewritten in-place" is better, as per the attached?
>
> Isn't "modified in-place" a more accurate description of the process?

AIUI we do rewrite the whole file (block by block, after updating the
page header with the checksum), so yeah, I though about using modified
instead but then decided rewritten is pretty (or even more) accurate.

Michael

--
Michael Banck
Projektleiter / Senior Berater

credativ GmbH, HRB Mönchengladbach 12080
USt-ID-Nummer: DE204566209
Trompeterallee 108, 41189 Mönchengladbach

Unser Umgang mit personenbezogenen Daten unterliegt
folgenden Bestimmungen: https://www.credativ.de/datenschutz