Re: Parallel Aggregates for string_agg and array_agg

From: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: David Rowley <david(dot)rowley(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Parallel Aggregates for string_agg and array_agg
Date: 2018-03-28 12:29:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 03/28/2018 05:28 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
> Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> writes:
>> On 03/27/2018 04:51 AM, David Rowley wrote:
>>> Seems I didn't mean "trans types". I should have said aggregate
>>> function argument types.
>
>> I'm not sure that's better than the check proposed by Tom. An argument
>> type without send/receive function does not necessarily mean we can't
>> serialize/deserialize the trans value. Because who says the argument
>> value will be embedded in the trans value?
>
> In general we would not know that, but *for these specific serial/
> deserial functions*, we know exactly what they will do. Also, IIRC,
> the trans type is declared as INTERNAL, so we don't really have any
> hope of identifying the behavior by inspecting that type declaration.

Sure, which is why I thought your solution was better, as it was
targeted at those particular functions.

> Getting a solution that would work for other polymorphic serialization
> functions seems like a bit of a research project to me. In the meantime,
> I think David's right that what we need to look at is the actual input
> type of the aggregate, and then assume that what's to be serialized is
> an array of that. Conceivably an aggregate could be built that uses
> these serial/deserial functions and yet its input type is something else
> than what it constructs an array of ... but I find it a bit hard to
> wrap my brain around what that would be exactly.

But David's fix doesn't check the aggregate to produce an array of the
input type (or anyarray). It could easily be an aggregate computing a
bloom filter or something like that, which has no such issues in the
serial/deserial functions.

Also, if it's checking aggref->aggargtypes, it'll reject anyelement
parameters, no?

regards

--
Tomas Vondra http://www.2ndQuadrant.com