Wait event that should be reported while waiting for WAL archiving to finish

From: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)oss(dot)nttdata(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Wait event that should be reported while waiting for WAL archiving to finish
Date: 2020-02-12 17:29:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

When I saw pg_stat_activity.wait_event while pg_basebackup -X none
is waiting for WAL archiving to finish, it was either NULL or
CheckpointDone. I think this is confusing. What about introducing
new wait_event like WAIT_EVENT_BACKUP_WAIT_WAL_ARCHIVE
(BackupWaitWalArchive) and reporting it during that period?

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao
NTT DATA CORPORATION