Re: logical decoding and replication of sequences

From: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Euler Taveira <euler(at)eulerto(dot)com>, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Petr Jelinek <petr(dot)jelinek(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: logical decoding and replication of sequences
Date: 2022-02-23 19:18:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2/23/22 18:33, Euler Taveira wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 23, 2022, at 1:07 PM, Tomas Vondra wrote:
>> Maybe, but I don't think it's very common to have that many
>> schemas added to the same publication. And it probably does not
>> make much difference whether you have 1000 or 2000 items in the
>> list - either both are acceptable or unacceptable, I think.
>
> Wouldn't it confuse users? Hey, duplicate publication. How? Wait.
> Doh.

I don't follow. Duplicate publications? This talks about rows in
pg_publication_namespace, not pg_publication.

>> I think just hard-coding this into CreatePublicationStmt would
>> work, but it'll be an issue once/if we start adding more options.
>> I'm not sure if it makes sense to replicate other relkinds, but
>> maybe DDL?
>
> Materialized view? As you mentioned DDL, maybe we can use the CREATE
> PUBLICATION syntax to select which DDL commands we want to
> replicate.

Well, yeah. But that doesn't really say whether to hard-code it into the
CREATE PUBLICATION syntax or cover it by PublicationObjSpec. Hard-coding
it also means we can't ALTER the publication to be FOR ALL TABLES etc.

regards

--
Tomas Vondra
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company