Re: Feature request

From: "Milen A(dot) Radev" <milen(at)radev(dot)net>
To: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Feature request
Date: 2007-03-14 15:55:11
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Kevin Macdonald wrote:
> Version: pgAdmin III 1.6.2
>
> I would like to make two feature requests for the "Query Tool".
>
> Background: Our environment includes a number Postgres installations.
> For each installation, we have defined a number of accounts (eg.
> postgres, and various restricted user-level accounts.)
>

> REQUEST 1
> ---------
>
> Often, I have a number of "Query Tool" windows open at any one time --
> each connected to a different database and through a different account.
>
> It would be very useful to know which window points where. One way would
> be to print the name of the database and account, through which the
> connection was made, in the title bar of the Query Tool window.
> Currently, the title bar is empty.

That's known bug (reported here -
http://www.pgadmin.org/archives/pgadmin-support/2007-01/msg00014.php) in
1.6.2 and fixed for 1.6.3.

> REQUEST 2
> ---------
>
> I also use SQL*Navigator to access our Oracle installations. On useful
> feature is that it allows multiple SQL statements to appear in the
> window, and it lets you run an arbitrary statement by positioning your
> cursor on the line and press F5.
>
> Of course, each statement would have to be terminated by a semi-colon.
>
> For example:
> ---------------------
> select * from foo;
> update foo set col = 'Fred';
>
> If the cursor was positioned on line 1, when you press F5, the SELECT
> would run; if the cursor was on line 2, when you press F%, the UPDATE
> would run.

Very similar feature is already available - select any text in the query
tool and press F5. The selected text is treated as a complete query and
is executed. Please report your experience with this feature and suggest
improvements if it does not meet your needs.

--
Milen A. Radev