Re: PG Email Client

From: Sim Zacks <sim(at)compulab(dot)co(dot)il>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PG Email Client
Date: 2007-01-30 05:56:32
Lists: pgsql-general

> Err... I do not understand "copy an email in 1 folder" - I use
> IMAP which stores all the mail on the server.
> (That is what dbmail does too)

In the traditional imap server the mail is stored in folders on the server that are accessed by the
client. Therefore you are limited to one indexed location per email. Lets say you want to look at
your email by customer. You would want to have a folder per customer so you can review your
correspondence with each one individually. If you want to look at correspondence per product. You
would need one folder for each product so you can review the correspondence for each product
individually.
However, if you want to have the ability to look at your email both per customer and per product,
then with the traditional imap system, you would need to copy the email so you had two physical
copies of the email. Now if you wanted to make notes on the email, it would only be tied to one of
them, etc..
I haven't checked whether dbmail can make virtual folders yet based on queries, but the normal
clients certainly don't support setting up indexes on the emails so that they could be viewed in
both folders.
A client that took advantage of a database backend would be one in which the user could
a) create virtual folders that are actually queries
b) choose indexes or put in keywords so that whether you clicked on the Customer A folder or the
Product C folder you would see the exact same e-mail.