Re[2]: doc - improve description of default privileges

From: "Bradley DeJong" <bpd0018(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Fabien COELHO" <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>, "PostgreSQL Developers" <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re[2]: doc - improve description of default privileges
Date: 2018-08-27 22:19:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi Fabien,

Thanks for writing this up - in particular the psql backslash commands.

comments on the patch ...

1) I think that adding the "This privilege is abbreviated ... when
displayed." lines to the privilege descriptions is redundant. The
abbreviations are already listed after the "The entries shown by \dp are
interpreted thus:" line. Just change that line to something like "The
entries shown by the psql backslash commands, like \dp, are interpreted
thus:".

2) I think that the psql command table should go with the current text
on "Use psql's \dp command to obtain ..." rather than in the Examples
section. It seems like changing the "For non-table objects there are
other \d commands ..." line to an introductory comment like "The
following table lists the \d commands that are used for non-table
objects along with the default privileges granted to the object's owner
and PUBLIC.

3) The table title, "Default hardcoded access privileges per object's
type", seems incomplete because it does not mention the psql commands
part of the table.