Re: How to implement backup protocol

From: "Andrus" <eetasoft(at)online(dot)ee>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: How to implement backup protocol
Date: 2006-11-29 19:49:47
Lists: pgsql-general

> You seem dead set on making your life harder than it needs to be. If you
> really don't want to have the ssh port open then set the backup to run
> from a cron-job on the main server and have it scp the result over to the
> backup server. That way only the backup server needs ssh open.

By backup clients use cheap ADSL internet connections.
Thery have all ports closed by ISP.

>> How to force postmaster to run the tool which system provides when it
>> receives backup request instead of postgres child process ?
>
> Don't. You're just making life difficult for yourself. Use the standard
> Unix solution for such things - ssh.
>
> How are you installing updates without ssh access to the server?

My servers are usually Windows computers.
I have installed LogMein ( www.logmein.com ) which allows to access those
computers
when ports are closed at both sides.

I havent installed any updates. I start with 8.1 and installed last version
on new server. So some servers have 8.1.1,
some 8.1.2 etc up to 8.1.5
I havent touched old servers after system is set up.

Andrus.