Re: [HACKERS] WIP Patch: Pgbench Serialization and deadlock errors

From: Marina Polyakova <m(dot)polyakova(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
To: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Ildus Kurbangaliev <i(dot)kurbangaliev(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, Teodor Sigaev <teodor(at)sigaev(dot)ru>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] WIP Patch: Pgbench Serialization and deadlock errors
Date: 2018-08-13 14:21:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 12-08-2018 12:14, Fabien COELHO wrote:
> HEllo Marina,

Hello, Fabien!

On 12-08-2018 12:17, Fabien COELHO wrote:
>> About part 3:
>>
>> Patch applies cleanly,
>
> I forgot: compiles, global & local "make check" are ok.

I'm glad to hear it :-)

> * typo in comments: "varaibles"

I'm sorry, I'll fix it.

> * About enlargeVariables:
>
> multiple INT_MAX error handling looks strange, especially as this code
> can never be triggered because pgbench would be dead long before
> having allocated INT_MAX variables. So I would not bother to add such
> checks.
> I'm not sure that the size_t cast here and there are useful for any
> practical values likely to be encountered by pgbench.

Looking at the code of the functions, for example, ParseScript and
psql_scan_setup, where the integer variable is used for the size of the
entire script - ISTM that you are right.. Therefore size_t casts will
also be removed.

> ISTM that if something is amiss it will fail in pg_realloc anyway.

IIUC and physical RAM is not enough, this may depend on the size of the
swap.

> Also I do not like the ExpBuf stuff, as usual.

> The exponential allocation seems overkill. I'd simply add a constant
> number of slots, with a simple rule:
>
> /* reallocated with a margin */
> if (max_vars < needed) max_vars = needed + 8;
>
> So in the end the function should be much simpler.

Ok!

--
Marina Polyakova
The Russian Postgres Company