Re: proposal: change behavior on collation version mismatch

From: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>
To: Jeremy Schneider <schnjere(at)amazon(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: proposal: change behavior on collation version mismatch
Date: 2023-11-28 02:28:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, 2023-11-27 at 15:35 -0800, Jeremy Schneider wrote:

> For many enterprise customers, if they ask why their database
> wouldn't accept connections after an OS upgrade and we explained that
> durability & correctness is prioritized over availability, I think
> they would agree we're doing the right thing.

They may agree, but their database is still down, and they'll be
looking for a clear process to get it going again, ideally within their
maintenance window.

It would be really nice to agree on such a process, or even better, to
implement it in code.

> After some years of ICU and PG, I'm just coming to a conclusion that
> the right thing to do is stay safe and don't change ICU versions (or
> glibc versions) for existing databases in-place.

I don't disagree, but for a lot of users that depend on their operating
system and packaging infrastructure, that is not very practical.

Regards,
Jeff Davis