Re: Having query cache in core

From: Hartmut Holzgraefe <hartmut(dot)holzgraefe(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Having query cache in core
Date: 2018-05-11 09:52:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 11.05.2018 11:12, Tatsuo Ishii wrote:
> Thanks for the advice. But I rather thought about bypassing the raw
> parser and the planner. i.e. use the query string (or its hash) as the
> index of the query cache.

that's almost actually how the MySQL query cache works: the query cache
lookup kicks in even before the query is parsed, to get maximum gain
from cache hits.

It does not just take the query text into account alone though,
but also the current default database, protocol version, and character
set/collation settings of the client session, asl all these may have
an influence on the actual result values, too ...

--
Hartmut Holzgraefe, Principal Support Engineer (EMEA)
MariaDB Corporation | http://www.mariadb.com/