LATIN2 encoding and Polish_Poland locale

From: Andrzej Angowski <andrzej(dot)angowski(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: LATIN2 encoding and Polish_Poland locale
Date: 2010-02-28 21:44:49
Lists: pgsql-admin

All,

I am running PostgreSQL database on Windows XP with SP3 machine.
Recently I have tried to upgrade from 8.2.15 to 8.4.2 but I encounter
the following issue: one of my databases is LATIN2 encoded
(ISO-8859-2). It works fine on 8.2.15 (LATIN2 encoding and
Polish_Poland locale - I have Polish characters and sorting works
fine), but on 8.4.2 default encoding for Polish_Poland is UTF-8. When
I try to set up LATIN2 encoding with Polish_Poland locale I get the
following error:

>createdb -E LATIN2 -l Polish_Poland test
createdb: database creation failed: ERROR: encoding LATIN2 does not
match locale Polish_Poland
DETAIL: The chosen LC_CTYPE setting requires encoding WIN1250.

In 8.4 manual -> Section 22.2 Character Set Support one can read:
An important restriction, however, is that each database's character
set must be compatible with the database's LC_CTYPE and LC_COLLATE
locale settings. For C or POSIX locale, any character set is allowed,
but for other locales there is only one character set that will work
correctly. (On Windows, however, UTF-8 encoding can be used with any
locale.)

So I manage to establish a DB with LATIN2 encoding with C locale:
>createdb -E LATIN2 -l C -T template0 test

I have Polish characters but sorting is not correct.

How can I set up Polish_Poland locale with LATIN2 encoding in PostgreSQL 8.4.2?

Thanks,
--
Andrzej Angowski