Re: .Net support for Visual Studio

From: Edward Diener <eldiener(at)tropicsoft(dot)com>
To: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: .Net support for Visual Studio
Date: 2006-08-28 16:07:00
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Francisco Figueiredo Jr. wrote:

> Edward Diener wrote:
>> Actually Npgsql1.0RC3-bin-ms2.0.zip appears to support .net 2.0.
>>

> Yes, indeed it is only compiled with ms.net 2.0 runtime. What I mean by
> 2.0 support is support for new 2.0 features like dbprovider factory,
> async command methods, etc.
>
>>> You will have to add an entry on your registry to make it work. Have a
>>> look at Npgsql user manual for details:
>>>
>>> http://npgsql.projects.postgresql.org/docs/manual/UserManual.htm
>>>
>>> on section 3.2: Design time support
>> Found it, thanks. For .net 2.0 this is registry key is in a bit
>> different place but I was able to figure it out from posts in the
>> Microsoft online forums about design time support for installs in the
>> GAC. Now I can add the Postgresql data provider components to my Toolbox
>> and access them.
>>

> Great! Can you provide links, or explanation so I can add them to Npgsql
> User manual so others can use it too?

The two steps for getting the assembly to show up in the Tools | Choose
Toolbox Items... in Visual Studio 2005 are:

1) Drag the assembly into the GAC, or use gacutil, to install the
assembly in the GAC.
2) Add a registry key under
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\.NETFramework\v2.0.50727\AssemblyFoldersEx
with whatever name you like ( I named mine PostGresql ) with a default
value of the directory ( trailing backslash ) where the assembly resides.

> Thanks in advance.

Your welcome.