Re: Oracle and Postgresql

From: "Asko Oja" <ascoja(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Casey Allen Shobe" <casey(at)shobe(dot)info>
Cc: "David Fetter" <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, "Roberts, Jon" <Jon(dot)Roberts(at)asurion(dot)com>, Blazej <bl(dot)oleszkiewicz(at)gmail(dot)com>, "0123 zyxw" <0123zyxw(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Kevin Hunter" <hunteke(at)earlham(dot)edu>, mailtoyahoo(at)gmail(dot)com, "Postgres General List" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Ron Mayer" <rm_pg(at)cheapcomplexdevices(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Oracle and Postgresql
Date: 2008-09-25 10:13:29
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-www

On Wed, Sep 24, 2008 at 11:13 PM, Casey Allen Shobe <casey(at)shobe(dot)info>wrote:

> On Sep 15, 2008, at 6:58 AM, David Fetter wrote:
>
>> Roles,
>>>

>> We have 'em.
>>

> We do NOT have secure application roles or anywhere near the level of
> configurability in security aspects as Oracle. We've got a great
> foundation, but we lack a lot of fine-grained granularity (e.g. an Oracle
> SAR can allow a role to execute a particular function based on the result of
> another function call or query, which has rather a lot of possibilities

but why would you put part of your business logic into some configuration
tables while you could keep it in your own functions

> - consider grant connect on database to staff when hour_of_day () between 9
> and 6; also consider row-level and column-level and even field-level access
> controls).
>
> It's complicated in Oracle, but there's a lot of possibilities there that
> we simply cannot reproduce. But this could be extended one day. :)

I see it as a strong side of PostgreSQL that we have not bloated our code
with all this fancy micromanagement that seems too complex to be useful
anyway considering that quality of Oracle database management tools :)

Cheers,
--
Casey Allen Shobe
Database Architect, The Berkeley Electronic Press