Re: patch: Add columns via CREATE OR REPLACE VIEW

From: "Asko Oja" <ascoja(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Robert Haas" <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Gregory Stark" <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, "Alvaro Herrera" <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, "PostgreSQL-development Hackers" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: patch: Add columns via CREATE OR REPLACE VIEW
Date: 2008-08-08 06:50:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

ALTER VIEW does not sound useful for me.
CREATE OR REPLACE VIEW should create or replace view and only thing that
should be same is the name of the view. It's up to Postgres to invalidate
all plans and up to developer to make sure that all places where his view is
used will stay still working. All this discussion about matching up columns
and AI seems totally useless to me :)