Re: Jsonpath ** vs lax mode

From: Thomas Kellerer <shammat(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Jsonpath ** vs lax mode
Date: 2021-01-21 09:37:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Alexander Korotkov schrieb am 20.01.2021 um 18:13:
> We have a bug report which says that jsonpath ** operator behaves strangely in the lax mode [1].

That report was from me ;)

Thanks for looking into it.

> At first sight, we may just say that lax mode just sucks and
> counter-intuitive results are expected. But at the second sight, the
> lax mode is used by default and current behavior may look too
> surprising.

I personally would be fine with the manual stating that the Postgres extension
to the JSONPath processing that allows a recursive lookup using ** requires strict
mode to work properly.

It should probably be documented in chapter 9.16.2 "The SQL/JSON Path Language",
maybe with a little warning in the description of jsonb_path_query** and in
chapter 8.14.16 as well (or at least that's were I would expect such a warning)

Regards
Thomas