Re: Column Filtering in Logical Replication

From: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: "houzj(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <houzj(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com>, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>, Rahila Syed <rahilasyed90(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Smith <smithpb2250(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "shiy(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <shiy(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Column Filtering in Logical Replication
Date: 2022-03-14 12:11:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 3/14/22 12:12, houzj(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com wrote:
> On Monday, March 14, 2022 5:08 AM Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:
>>
>> On 3/12/22 05:30, Amit Kapila wrote:
>>>
>>> Okay, please find attached. I have done basic testing of this, if we
>>> agree with this approach then this will require some more testing.
>>>

>> Thanks, the proposed changes seem like a clear improvement, so I've
>> added them, with some minor tweaks (mostly to comments).
>
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for updating the patches !
> And sorry for the row filter bug caused by my mistake.
>
> I looked at the two fixup patches. I am thinking would it be better if we
> add one testcase for these two bugs? Maybe like the attachment.

Yeah, a test would be nice - I'll take a look later.

Anyway, the fix does not address tablesync, as explained in [1]. I'm not
sure what to do about it - in principle, we could calculate which
relations to sync, and then eliminate "duplicates" (i.e. relations where
we are going to sync an ancestor).

regards

[1]
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/822a8e40-287c-59ff-0ea9-35eb759f4fe6%40enterprisedb.com