Re: BUG #14217: Respect $CFLAGS from /usr/local/etc/config.site

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Дилян Палаузов <dpa-postgres(at)aegee(dot)org>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #14217: Respect $CFLAGS from /usr/local/etc/config.site
Date: 2016-07-08 01:40:25
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On 6/28/16 5:04 PM, Дилян Палаузов wrote:
> When building postgresql I noticed, that it doesn't use LTO. What is the way to enable LTO builds with the current build system, except calling CFLAGS="-flto -O3" ./configure?

You can do it like that. But I have tried that before and the
performance improvement of the resulting binary is approximately zero
percent. So there is not a whole lot of enthusiasm right now to make
that any easier.

> In all cases, doing unset CFLAGS is wrong, as it discards CFLAGS set in config.site, which it shall not.

As a workaround, you can fake it by setting ac_env_CFLAGS_set and
ac_env_CFLAGS_value in config.site, to pretend that CFLAGS came from the
environment. We do support that.

If you want to come up with a more comprehensive patch to make this work
right, we would consider it. But as you've heard, this is a very
marginal use case and the current system has been carefully tweaked, so
it would take some convincing to change it.