Re: Continue work on changes to recovery.conf API

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Subject: Re: Continue work on changes to recovery.conf API
Date: 2018-11-27 08:59:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 25/11/2018 21:39, Andres Freund wrote:
> On 2018-11-25 13:24:15 -0500, Stephen Frost wrote:
>> - User performs a backup with pg_basebackup -R
>> - Replica is then promoted to be a primary
>> - User performs a backup with pg_basebackup -R on the new primary
>> - Duplicate entries end up in postgresql.auto.conf. Ew.
> Why don't we put recovery entries into postgresql.recovery.conf or such?
> And overwrite rather than append?

Adding more such sub-configuration files would be easy to do and has
some merit, but the devil is in the details. In what order would those
files be read? Who is supposed to write to it, is it reserved for
pg_basebackup use only? If you choose to use this particular name, is
it not used when not in recovery? Does this file belong in the data
directory or the configuration directory? Which choice will offend
packagers the least? Etc.