Re: Reducing output size of nodeToString

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org>
To: Matthias van de Meent <boekewurm+postgres(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Michel Pelletier <pelletier(dot)michel(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Reducing output size of nodeToString
Date: 2024-03-19 16:13:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 11.03.24 21:52, Matthias van de Meent wrote:
>> * v7-0003-gen_node_support.pl-Mark-location-fields-as-type-.patch
>>
>> This looks sensible, but maybe making Location a global type is a bit
>> much? Maybe something more specific like ParseLocation, or ParseLoc, to
>> keep it under 12 characters.
> I've gone with ParseLoc in the attached v8 patchset.

I have committed this one.

I moved the typedef to nodes/nodes.h, where we already had similar
typdefs (Cardinality, etc.). The fields stmt_location and stmt_len in
PlannedStmt were not converted, so I fixed that. Also, between you
writing your patch and now, at least one new node type was added, so I
fixed that one up, too. (I diffed the generated node support functions
to check.) Hopefully, future hackers will apply the new type when
appropriate.