Re: GSoD - a patch for Getting Started tutorial

From: Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at>
To: Liudmila Mantrova <l(dot)mantrova(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-docs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Sarah Conway Schnurr <xenophenes42(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: GSoD - a patch for Getting Started tutorial
Date: 2019-11-19 08:00:36
Lists: pgsql-docs

On Mon, 2019-11-18 at 23:35 +0300, Liudmila Mantrova wrote:
> > I am a bit uncomfortable about having details about the workings of
> > binary packages for specific operating systems in the core documentation.
> > Maybe I'm too sensitive there, but what about having these parts in the Wiki
> > and linking there from the tutorial?
>
> I also had my doubts about it, but since we are only talking about PGDG packages that
> the community supports, it's probably OK to have it in docs? Besides, I believe we
> should be consistent here - if we are hand-holding the user through the source install,
> we should have a description for binary install as well (which is even more useful for novices).
> I also think it makes the tutorial self-contained, which seems to address one of the
> concerns raised in the presentation you are referring to.

Perhaps you are right, but I wonder if following a link into the Wiki
would be a great hurdle for the novice.
I personally thought that a lot of the complaints in the presentation
were ridiculous, so we need not follow its recommendations slavishly.

> > Quickly skimming over the text, I have two things to comment:
> > - The RedHat binaries use "trust" authentication by default, not "peer".
>
> Do you mean PGDG binaries or any other binaries? For a PGDG install on e.g. RHEL 8,
> peer seems to be the default.
> But now that you mentioned it, I realized that trust is the default for
> source installs and it might be worth adding, too. I'll try to tweak this part again.

The binaries for Fedora Linux use "trust".

I think that the source installation is covered well enough.

> > - I couldn't see anything about Windows.
> > I think that particularly on Windows people would need a tutorial most,
> > not because Windows people are more clueless, but because things work
> > differently there. Many Windows users don't know how to start a shell.
>
> I think we can extend it with Windows specifics if there are no other major concerns.
> (But it'll probably take some time for me to try it and figure out the differences.
> Although I know how to start a shell, I'm sure I'll face other problems. :))

I understand your reluctance.
But if we want to cater for clueless beginners, we cannot omit Windows.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe