Re: Migrating PostgreSQL database to MySQL/MS Access

From: Thomas Kellerer <spam_eater(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Migrating PostgreSQL database to MySQL/MS Access
Date: 2006-08-13 13:16:05
Lists: pgsql-general

Ashley Moran wrote on 13.08.2006 13:46:
> I can't understand how developers employed to created database-backed
> applications think they can get anywhere with so little understanding of what
> they are doing.

Well spoken!!

> I have actually written a 10-page introduction to relational theory, based on
> the bad design decisions in our apps.

I will most probably prepare a training on how to use a database efficiently
covering *very* basic things that I have seen a tremendous lack of
understanding: Why do I need an Index? What happens if I don't? When is an index
used? How do I know whether a query actually uses an index? ....

I do agree that this might be a problem of universty education which focuses too
much on theory and not on real-world problems.

Thomas