Re: Problem Upgrading from 8.0 to 8.1 (WinXP) ...not still solved!!

From: manjusri schuit <manjusri(dot)schuit(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: ig(at)freemail(dot)gr
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Problem Upgrading from 8.0 to 8.1 (WinXP) ...not still solved!!
Date: 2005-11-25 22:33:30
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hello
I'm also a novice but anyway maybe this will help you a bit ...

I could not make-up from youre mails if you had removed or moved the old (
8.0) data (bin etc) directory's of postgresql (c:\windows\postgresql.... or
where you installed it)
At least that 's where i went wrong some time ago. I tried to install a
newer version into the same directory of the older version and promt
everyting went down the hill
Further more you should disable the old service in the services-panel (
there is a way to remove the service but i'm not in the right place to look
it up for you)
(had a case in witch the old service was starting up my new db with the
wrong parameters)
Next you should remove the old (postgres) user account (alternative you
could resuse it, worked for me)
remove all garbage left by the unistaller in registry (i never had to do
that myself)

Every time I install postgresql on windows i repeat at least the above steps
an it works for me.

It could be that the list above is still incompleet.

further more if you want to use the old data (do as *me(at)alternize(dot)com is
saying)*
Or use a tool to create different build scripts (my way)

Nb. For windows users it can be some times a little bit irratating to get
the right anwsers but i believe it's the second release of a (native)
postgresql version on windows, so the development of the windows versions is
a bit young in comparisation to the NIX versions.
On the site they used to make a comment about that to.

--
Met vriendelijke groet
Manjusri Schuit