回复:回复:Bug about drop index concurrently

From: 李杰(慎追) <adger(dot)lj(at)alibaba-inc(dot)com>
To: "Tomas Vondra" <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-hackers" <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: 回复:回复:Bug about drop index concurrently
Date: 2019-10-23 06:38:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>I'm a bit confused. You shouldn't see any crashes and/or core files in
>this scenario, for two reasons. Firstly, I assume you're running a
>regular build without asserts. Secondly, I had to add an extra assert to
>trigger the failure. So what core are you talking about?

Sorry, I should explain it more clearly.
I saw the core file because I modified the postgres source code and added Assert to it.

>Also, it's not clear to me what do you mean by "bug in the standby" or
>no lock in the drop index concurrently. Can you explain?

"bug in the standby" means that we built a master-slave instance, when we executed a large number of queries on the standby, we executed 'drop index concurrently' on the master so that get ‘error’ in the standby. Although it is not 100%, it will appear.
no lock in the drop index concurrently ::: I think this is because there are not enough advanced locks when executing ‘ drop index concurrently’.

>Hmm, so you observe the issue with regular queries, not just EXPLAIN
>ANALYZE?

yeah, we have seen this error frequently.

>>Of course, we considered applying the method of waiting to detect the
>>query lock on the master to the standby, but worried about affecting
>>the standby application log delay, so we gave up that.
>>
>I don't understand? What method?

I analyzed this problem, I used to find out the cause of this problem, I also executed 'drop index concurrently' and ‘explain select * from xxx’ on the master, but the bug did not appear as expected.
So I went to analyze the source code. I found that there is such a mechanism on the master that when the 'drop index concurrently' is execute, it wait will every transaction that saw the old index state has finished. source code is as follows follow as:

WaitForLockers(heaplocktag, AccessExclusiveLock);

Therefore, I think that if this method is also available in standby, then the error will not appear. but I worried about affecting the standby application log delay, so we gave up that.