Re: default lower case of identifier

From: "Qingqing Zhou" <zhouqq(at)cs(dot)toronto(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: default lower case of identifier
Date: 2006-07-27 01:28:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

""jkzhao"" <jkzhao(at)pku(dot)edu(dot)cn> wrote

> But, create user "HU" then connect PostgreSQL by HU is wrong.

If you do

postgres=# create user "HU";

You will get the "HU" as you want. Usage of the quotation marks is in the
manual.

> I'd like to know whether I can make PostgreSQL stands to the SQL92
> standard by changing some PostgreSQL's code?

Just cite Tom's post:

The difference between what PG does and what the spec says can only be
observed when you sometimes double-quote a particular identifier and
sometimes don't. PG makes FOO, Foo, foo and "foo" the same, but
different from "FOO" or "Foo"; while the spec would have FOO, Foo, foo
and "FOO" the same but different from "foo" or "Foo".

PostgreSQL is almost there and most of the problem is on the client side.

Regards,
Qingqing