Re: Migration Docs WAS: Proposal for changes to recovery.conf API

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Abhijit Menon-Sen <ams(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Migration Docs WAS: Proposal for changes to recovery.conf API
Date: 2016-12-20 18:41:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On 12/16/16 8:52 PM, Robert Haas wrote:
>> > If the explanation is just a few sentences long, I see no reason not
>> > to include it in the release notes.
> As far as I can tell from the latest posted patch, the upgrade
> instructions are
>
> - To trigger recovery, create an empty file recovery.trigger instead of
> recovery.conf.
>
> - All parameters formerly in recovery.conf are now regular
> postgresql.conf parameters. For backward compatibility, recovery.conf
> is read after postgresql.conf, but the parameters can now be put into
> postgresql.conf if desired.

Aren't we changing how some of the parameters work?

> Some of that might be subject to patch review, but it's probably not
> going to be much longer than that. So I think that will fit well into
> the usual release notes section.

Changed the subject line of this thread because people are becoming
confused about the new topic.

I'm not talking about *just* the recovery.conf changes. We're making a
lot of changes to 10 which will require user action, and there may be
more before 10 is baked. For example, dealing with the version
numbering change. I started a list of the things we're breaking for 10,
but I don't have it with me at the moment. There's more than 3 things
on it.

And then there's docs for stuff which isn't *required* by upgrading, but
would be a good idea. For example, we'll eventually want a doc on how
to migrate old-style partitioned tables to new-style partitioned tables.

In any case, Peter's response shows *exactly* why I don't want to put
this documentation into the release notes: because people are going to
complain it's too long and want to truncate it. Writing the docs will be
hard enough; if I (or anyone else) has to argue about whether or not
they're too long, I'm just going to drop the patch and walk away.

Josh Berkus
Red Hat OSAS
(any opinions are my own)