initdb on Debian

From: Randall Smith <randall(at)tnr(dot)cc>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: initdb on Debian
Date: 2004-09-30 03:34:33
Lists: pgsql-general

I would like to be able to initdb to get a clean database to test
backups. Reading the Debian version of the Postgresql README, I see
that I should use the --debian-conffile option with initdb. Problem
though. I have to run initdb as user postgres, but I need to be root to
edit the stuff in /etc. So I can't run initdb as root or postgres. I
lose either way. Also, since the configs are symlinked in etc, is there
an elegant way to handle the configs in /etc when I'm running > 1
postgresql instances?

Randall