Re: How to use a trigger to write rows to a remote server

From: "Michael Dengler" <michael(dot)dengler(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: How to use a trigger to write rows to a remote server
Date: 2007-07-18 16:30:56
Lists: pgsql-performance

Hmm..I was hoping to avoid personal insults....

Anyway, Nuts or not...what I am attempting is to simply have row from one
table inserted into another servers DB I don't see it as replication
because:

a) The destination table will have a trigger that modifies the arriving data
to fit its table scheme.
b) It is not critical that the data be synchronous (ie a lost row on the
destination DB is not a big deal)
c) I see as more of a provision of data to the destination DB NOT A
REPLICATION OF DATA.

Essentially the remote server just wants to know when some record arrives at
the source server and wants to know some of the info contained in the new
record.

And yes it may be that I know little about the myriad of problems involved
with replication...but I do know how to carry on a civil, adult
conversation....maybe we can have a knowledge exchange.

Cheers

Mike

On 7/18/07, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> "Michael Dengler" <michael(dot)dengler(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> > I am trying to find out how to use a trigger function on a table to copy
> any
> > inserted row to a remote PG server.
> > This is not replication, I'm not interested in a full blown trigger
> based
> > replication solution.
>
> To be blunt, you're nuts. You *are* building a trigger based
> replication system, and the fact that you think you can cut corners
> just shows how little you know about the problems involved.

Use Slony, or some other solution that someone else has already gotten