Re: superlative missuse

From: David Wilson <david(dot)t(dot)wilson(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Craig James <craig_james(at)emolecules(dot)com>
Cc: clist(at)uah(dot)es, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: superlative missuse
Date: 2009-05-15 01:21:44
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 9:08 PM, Craig James <craig_james(at)emolecules(dot)com> wrote:

> I disagree -- it's a glaring error.  "More optimized" or "better optimized"
> are perfectly good, and correct, phrases.  Why not use them?  Every time I
> read "more optimal," I am embarrassed for the person who is showing his/her
> ignorance of the basics of English grammar.  If I wrote, "It's more best,"
> would you find that acceptable?

Oh, I agree it's an error- and it's one I personally avoid. But
unfortunately, it's remarkably common and has been for some time- as
Tom pointed out with the quote from the US Constitution. On the other
hand, "more best" is more clearly a mistake because of the presence of
"better" as an alternative that is both correct and commonly used.
"More optimized" is infrequent enough to slip by a little more easily.

> Since you replied on the list, it's only appropriate to get at least one
> rebuttal.

As is, of course, your certain right. I think that's enough on the
list, though I'd be happy to continue off-list if there's any
interest. :)

--
- David T. Wilson
david(dot)t(dot)wilson(at)gmail(dot)com