Re: postgresql and Mac OS X

From: "David Wilson" <david(dot)t(dot)wilson(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Christophe <xof(at)thebuild(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: postgresql and Mac OS X
Date: 2008-10-29 03:43:58
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 7:10 PM, Christophe <xof(at)thebuild(dot)com> wrote:

> On Oct 28, 2008, at 4:03 PM, Steve Atkins wrote:
>>
>> Installing from source means I can avoid the fragility of macports or
>> fink, and know that I've built it in much the same way as the postgresql or
>> solaris installation I'd be using for production.
>
> +1

Make that +2.

My primary development machine is my macbook pro, and I'd definitely
suggest compiling from source. It's quite painless, and it ensures
that you have exactly what you think you have on the machine. Getting
it to start up automatically is pretty trivial, and I'd say that the
benefits *far* outweigh the avoidance of a few annoying system
administration tasks at install time. Saving myself pain over time is
definitely far better than saving a bit of discomfort once, IMO!

--
- David T. Wilson
david(dot)t(dot)wilson(at)gmail(dot)com