Re: Can we go beyond the standard to make Postgres radically better?

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala(dot)mladen(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Can we go beyond the standard to make Postgres radically better?
Date: 2022-02-13 01:12:02
Lists: pgsql-general

On 2/12/22 19:11, Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum wrote:
> The complaint is not about complex queries, or CTEs, or Joins. This is
> about simple queries where a user wants to discover - surf - the database
> and look into specific tables, but exclude certain columns. More
> specifically,
> this is when the user types in interactive queries.

There is already something very similar to what you are describing:

https://www.psycopg.org/docs/cursor.html

Each cursor has its description, which consists of the column
descriptions. Basically, it's like doing \d on a cursor. Unfortunately,
it's not interactive, one has to do some pythong programming in order do
to that. Unfortunately, it is not possible to just "describe the
cursor", the description becomes available after the "execute" call.
Hopefully, I understood you correctly.

--
Mladen Gogala
Database Consultant