Re: dynamic result sets support in extended query protocol

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: dynamic result sets support in extended query protocol
Date: 2022-11-22 15:57:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 14.10.22 09:11, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Now that the psql support for multiple result sets exists, I want to
> revive this patch.  It's the same as the last posted version, except now
> it doesn't require any psql changes or any weird test modifications
> anymore.
>
> (Old news: This patch allows declaring a cursor WITH RETURN in a
> procedure to make the cursor's data be returned as a result of the CALL
> invocation.  The procedure needs to be declared with the DYNAMIC RESULT
> SETS attribute.)

I added tests using the new psql \bind command to test this
functionality in the extended query protocol, which showed that this got
broken since I first wrote this patch. This "blame" is on the pipeline
mode in libpq patch (acb7e4eb6b1c614c68a62fb3a6a5bba1af0a2659). I need
to spend more time on this and figure out how to repair it. In the
meantime, here is an updated patch set with the current status.

Attachment Content-Type Size
v6-0001-Dynamic-result-sets-from-procedures.patch text/plain 52.5 KB
v6-0002-WIP-Dynamic-result-sets-extended-query-tests.patch text/plain 3.0 KB