Re: Event triggers + table partitioning cause server crash in current master

From: Amit Langote <Langote_Amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: Mark Dilger <hornschnorter(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Event triggers + table partitioning cause server crash in current master
Date: 2017-05-15 06:02:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2017/05/14 12:03, Mark Dilger wrote:
> Hackers,
>
> I discovered a reproducible crash using event triggers in the current
> development version, 29c7d5e4844443acaa74a0d06dd6c70b320bb315.
> I was getting a crash before this version, and cloned a fresh copy of
> the sources to be sure I was up to date, so I don't think the bug can be
> attributed to Andres' commit. (The prior version I was testing against
> was heavily modified by me, so I recreated the bug using the latest
> standard, unmodified sources.)
>
> I create both before and after event triggers early in the regression test
> schedule, which then fire here and there during the following tests, leading
> fairly reproducibly to the server crashing somewhere during the test suite.
> These crashes do not happen for me without the event triggers being added
> to the tests. Many tests show as 'FAILED' simply because the logging
> that happens in the event triggers creates unexpected output for the test.
> Those "failures" are expected. The server crashes are not.
>
> The server logs suggest the crashes might be related to partitioned tables.
>
> Please find attached the patch that includes my changes to the sources
> for recreating this bug. The logs and regression.diffs are a bit large; let
> me know if you need them.
>
> I built using the command
>
> ./configure --enable-cassert --enable-tap-tests && make -j4 && make check

Thanks for the report and providing steps to reproduce.

It seems that it is indeed a bug related to creating range-partitioned
tables. DefineRelation() calls AlterTableInternal() to add NOT NULL
constraints on the range partition key columns, but the code fails to
first initialize the event trigger context information. Attached patch
should fix that.

Thanks to the above test case, I also discovered that in the case of
creating a partition, manipulations performed by MergeAttributes() on the
input schema list may cause it to become invalid, that is, the List
metadata (length) will no longer match the reality, because while the
ListCells are deleted from the input list, the List pointer passed to
list_delete_cell does not point to the same list. This caused a crash
when the CreateStmt in question was subsequently passed to copyObject,
which tried to access CreateStmt.tableElts that has become invalid as just
described. The attached patch also takes care of that.

Thanks,
Amit

Attachment Content-Type Size
0001-Fix-to-make-partitioned-tables-work-with-event-trigg.patch text/x-diff 6.3 KB