Re: PostgreSQL Developer meeting minutes up

From: Marko Kreen <markokr(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Markus Wanner <markus(at)bluegap(dot)ch>
Cc: Aidan Van Dyk <aidan(at)highrise(dot)ca>, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL Developer meeting minutes up
Date: 2009-06-02 15:34:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 6/2/09, Markus Wanner <markus(at)bluegap(dot)ch> wrote:
> [academic nitpicking]

Sorry, not going there. Just look at the state of VCS systems
that have prioritized academic issues insead of practicality...
(arch/darcs/monotone/etc..)

> > So please turn the merge logic off. If this cannot be turned off,
> > cvs2git is not usable for conversion.
> >

> As far as I know, it cannot be turned off. Use parsecvs if you want to get
> silly side effects later on in history. ;-)

--no-cross-branch-commits seems sort of that direction?

And what silly side effects are you talking about? I see only cvs2git
doing silly things...

(I'm talking about only in context of Postgres CVS repo, not in general.)

> > Seems it contains more complex logic to handle more complex CVS usage
> > cases, but seems like overkill for us if it creates a mess of history.
> >

> You consider it a mess, I consider it a better and more valid
> representation of the mess that CVS is.

Note that merge is no file-level but tree level. Also note we don't
use branches for feature developement but for major version maintenance.

So how can single file appearing in 2 branches means merge of 2 trees?
How can that be valid?

--
marko