Re: plpython crash on exception

From: "Marko Kreen" <markokr(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Alvaro Herrera" <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, "Postgres Patches" <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: plpython crash on exception
Date: 2007-11-23 07:28:43
Lists: pgsql-patches

On 11/23/07, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> "Marko Kreen" <markokr(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> > Just a note - appendStringInfoVA should take *nprinted argument.
>
> Why? I can't imagine any real use for it. If you're thinking that
> it could provide a guide as to what to resize the buffer to, think
> again.

It seems perfectly appropriate:

If the output was truncated due to this limit then the return
value is the number of characters (not including the trailing
'\0') which would have been written to the final string if
enough space had been available.

What problem do you see?

Note that I don't want to fix unnecessary memory usage with that
but several reallocs in case some args are large.

--
marko