Re: Out of Memory - 8.2.4

From: "Marko Kreen" <markokr(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Alvaro Herrera" <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, "Jeff Amiel" <becauseimjeff(at)yahoo(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Out of Memory - 8.2.4
Date: 2007-08-30 08:01:19
Lists: pgsql-general

On 8/29/07, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> > I'm not having much luck really. I think the problem is that ANALYZE
> > stores reltuples as the number of live tuples, so if you delete a big
> > portion of a big table, then ANALYZE and then VACUUM, there's a huge
> > misestimation and extra index cleanup passes happen, which is a bad
> > thing.
>
> Yeah ... so just go with a constant estimate of say 200 deletable tuples
> per page?

Note that it's much better to err on the smaller values.

Extra index pass is really no problem. VACUUM getting
"Out of memory" may not sound like a big problem, but the scary
thing is - the last VACUUM's memory request may succeed and that
means following queries start failing and that is big problem.

--
marko