Re: Segmentation fault using digest from pg_crypto

From: "Marko Kreen" <markokr(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Manuel Sugawara" <masm(at)fciencias(dot)unam(dot)mx>
Cc: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Segmentation fault using digest from pg_crypto
Date: 2007-08-27 08:17:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 8/24/07, Manuel Sugawara <masm(at)fciencias(dot)unam(dot)mx> wrote:
> > Manuel Sugawara <masm(at)fciencias(dot)unam(dot)mx> writes:
> >
> >> Not an smart move IMHO, I didn't create the function, it was created
> >> as part of my upgrade process. May I suggest to put back the check?.
> >
> > That's the standard way of doing things in C functions (ie, rely on
> > STRICT markings) and I see nothing wrong with it.
> >
> > If you were using an upgrade process that failed to incorporate
> > version-to-version changes in the definitions of contrib functions,
> > this is hardly going to be the only problem you encounter.
>
> I was under the impression that the standar procedure for upgrading
> was to read the release notes searching for this kind of gotchas. I've
> reviewed (again) the release notes for 8.1 and 8.2 and didn't find
> anything related but maybe I'm not searching hard enough.
>
> If something is not going a work (or is going a work in a different
> way) in some version after loading a shot form a previous one I think
> it should be documented or some kind of backwards compatibility
> mechanism should be provided.

That's a valid complaint and I take the blame.

The problem was that such "evolution" was not actually planned.
So when I noticed the 8.2 commit, I did not think of the implications
hard enough to realize the need for release note for it.

Tom, how about putting a note about that into next 8.2 minor
release notes? (8.3 too?) Something like "You need to refresh
pgcrypto functions, because since rel 8.2 the code depends
on functions being tagged STRICT."

--
marko