Re: log bind parameter values on error

From: Alexey Bashtanov <bashtanov(at)imap(dot)cc>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: log bind parameter values on error
Date: 2019-09-27 16:45:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello Alvaro,

> I didn't like abusing testlibpq3.c for your new stuff, so I moved it off
> to a new file testlibpq5.c. I cleaned up a few other cosmetics things
> about this -- v10 attached.
Thanks for doing this.

> I eventually noticed that this patch fails
> to initialize each param's textValue to NULL,
I've added the changes to set textValue to NULL for each parameter after
calling makeParamList.
I think it's the best option, as it's natural to populate text
representations (albeit with NULLs)
in the same loop as we write the other parameters attributes.

It still requires us to set hasTextValues afterwards, as it doesn't seem
practical to me to make
two loops, first null them all and next populate them: if there's a
parsing or converting problem
midway it's out of the feature scope and already being logged elsewhere.

Attaching v11, marking as waiting for review.

Best, Alex

Attachment Content-Type Size
log_parameters_v011.patch text/x-patch 22.8 KB