Re: Patch to add a socketTimeout property.

From: "Toru SHIMOGAKI" <shimogaki(dot)toru(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Kris Jurka" <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
Cc: "Art Gramlich" <art(dot)gramlich(at)healthtrio(dot)com>, "Toru SHIMOGAKI" <shimogaki(dot)toru(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Patch to add a socketTimeout property.
Date: 2008-04-12 00:27:07
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

2008/4/11, Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>:

> I don't see a danger with exposing them as options as long as the pros and
> cons are clearly explained.

How about the following list to compare keepalive and socket timeout?
Please add other topics, if any.

keepalive socket timeout
Configurability No in Java Yes
(depend on OS setting)

Target All connections Each connection

Standard timer 2 hours Depend on users
setting

Influence All of applications Long running query
on a same OS using a same connection

Overhead Network for CPU for timer
keepalive proves

On the other hand, should we provide the both properties and users
chose either of them depend on their requirement?

--
Toru SHIMOGAKI <shimogaki(dot)toru(at)gmail(dot)com>