National community sites @ postgresql.org?

From: "Nikolay Samokhvalov" <samokhvalov(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: National community sites @ postgresql.org?
Date: 2008-05-06 21:37:44
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-www

Hi,

Currenlty we have pretty good growing pugs.postgresql.org page, that
collects links to all local PUGs. As far as I can see, most (not all,
but most) English-speaking PUGs sites are hosted directly at
postgresql.org (or, more precisely, at pugs.postgresql.org). And all
non-English speaking ones have their own sites -- like
postgresqlfr.org or pgug.de.

Here in Russia we have a problem with local domain --the most suitable
one, postgresql.ru belongs to the person who doesn't want to donate it
(or even to sell it) to the community. Currently we are considering
Oleg's pgsql.ru as the most suitable name for hosting all the stuff in
Russian language (articles, news, events calendar, forum, wiki, etc).

During Russian community blog/wiki/etc setup process I've realized
that it's strange that in many countries people do the same things
separately. It would be much more useful, convenient and simply great
if we have:
- one infrastructure to host community sites for any community,
country-wide or small one, in any language (news, events calendar,
wiki, forums -- this list is almost everything one might to want to be
happy);
- uniform DNS scheme. For country-wide communities it would be great
to have 3rd level domains delegated to host community sites (e.g.,
ru.postgresql.org -- this would be GREAT) and maybe ip2geo settings to
show the notice suggesting proper community site directly on the main
postgresql.org page.

Particularly, I'd be glad to put Russian translation of PostgreSQL
weekly news to this site.

openoffice.org's infrastructure can be considered as some example of
this thing -- it has ru.openoffice.org, de.openoffice.org, etc.

This is not simple project, but it's doable. What do you think?

--
Best regards,
Nikolay