Re: SQL/XML publishing function experimental patch II

From: "Nikolay Samokhvalov" <samokhvalov(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Peter Eisentraut" <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org, "Bruce Momjian" <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: SQL/XML publishing function experimental patch II
Date: 2006-06-15 22:22:23
Lists: pgsql-patches

I'll prepare some classification of differend kinds of XML support,
including a brief overview for oracle, sql server and db2 (I'm a
person who works on that SoC project)

As for Pavel's patch, I think it's pretty complete piece of several
SQL/XML functions and could be usefull for people (e.g for me).

But it isn't fulll 'XML support' yet. On the road to XML type I see
more grammar hacks (if standard compliance should be established) -
for example, one of possible xml-column declarations is '...col1
XML(SEQUENCE (UNTYPED))...', what breaks postgres' syntax for types
descriptors, if I'm not mistaken..

Yes, standard is bloated and there is no dbms that supports part 14
entirely (e.g., oracle doesn't accept xquery sequnces for xml type, ms
calls its type 'xmltype' and doesn't support sql/xml functions), but
it contains some collection of experience. Many people want to store
xml and to work with it - so some work should take place. Another
point: no open-source dbms has good xml support, so... Anyway, it
would be attractive feature (speaking about marketing - look at the
db2 v.9 'viper' description: xml, xml, xml...)

On 6/15/06, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> > There have been inquiries about some kind of XML support every few weeks
> > for years now. Clearly, we need to sort out what that really means.
>
> Agreed. We need a road map of some sort.
>
> > I'm preparing a session about that for the Toronto summit.
>
> Looking forward to it...
>
> regards, tom lane

Best regards,
Nikolay